Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Fried Green Tomatoes

Yep. My southern-belle of a grandma is rolling in her grave. Her Yankee grand-daughter just grew a tomato in Connecticut and then made fried green tomatoes with that same tomato and loved it.

I don't know what that traditional southern way of making fried green tomatoes is supposed to be, so I just made up my own way.

This poor little tomato had fallen off the tomato plant. He seemed in perfectly fine shape to me, so I thought I'd fry him up for dinner. Here's what I did:
Fried Green Tomatoes
Batter:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon Lawry's seasoning salt
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
Slice the tomatoes fairly thin, about 1/8-1/4 inch thick. I liked the thinner ones the best -- they had a good crunch to them.
Dredge in beaten egg.
Dredge in flour.
Gently place into VERY hot oil -- if it isn't hot, the tomato will get all oily and soggy instead of crispy.
Fry for about 2 minutes on each side. Try not to jostle or flip the tomatoes too roughly or the tasty batter will fall off.
Place on a paper towel to drain.
Serve with dipping sauce. I used Alabama BBQ sauce, but it would taste great with Ranch too.

No comments:

Post a Comment