Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My Greedy Quilt

Blooming Nine Patch pattern,
measures about 60 X 68 inches
There is a great online quilt festival happening at Park City Girl -- I decided to enter one of my favorite quilts -- My Greedy Quilt.
Back in May 2003, I was really sad to hear that a friend was planning on moving away. She was so much fun! It was going to be devastating to have her go off to a new city. So, I thought I'd make her a quilt to help her know I loved her and would really miss her when she was gone.
It took me a few weeks to make, and by the time I had it together my friend had moved away. Sadly, it was just too easy to keep it instead of mailing it to her new address. I know it says terrible things about me, but I really do love this quilt. I couldn't let it go. I use it almost every night to relax and watch tv. Does it make it better that I think of her almost every day????
For those interested in the design, it is an alternating pattern of squares and nine-patches the same size. Pick the fabrics by making sure that there are three colors that match as it "blooms" out. That's what produces such a lovely blended look -- I used six different fabrics in this version. Sew the strips of square then nine-patch in strips, and sew it all together on the diagonal. The two ends of each row are triangles. I then finished it off with a small border of the same fabric to give it a strong finish.

11 comments:

  1. Very pretty....at least the thought was there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! and it only took you a few weeks to make? Great quilt, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well at least you think of her when you use it....it is a very lovely design...great quilt..

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful fabrics with great colors selections. I probably would have kept it to :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh--- the famous blooming 9 patch. Beautiful colors you've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt. Nice memory quilt for you about your friend. Glad that you shared it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently took a class for this quilt. I was so surprised at how easy and fun it was to put together. Picking all the fabrics was the hardest part of the entire project. You did a beautiful job with colors. I don't blame you for keeping it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete