Saturday, April 18, 2009

Stromboli My Way


I love Stromboli -- I stink at making it.

The traditional Stromboli is meat and cheese rolled up together inside bread dough, then baked like a log and then finally sliced. When I bake it in a log, it comes out soggy on the inside and the dough is never fully cooked. A long time ago, I went to a Pampered Chef demonstration where they made pepperoni pinwheels. A-ha! No more soggy Stromboli. Slice before baking, that's the ticket!

The recipe below will feed 3 adults, with 3-4 slices each. It is a very filling meal. You can add any meats/cheeses or veggies that you like. I have to say though, the veggies add liquid which again adds to the main problem of soggy Stromboli. I prefer just meat and cheese -- I get my veggies from dipping it in the spaghetti sauce :) Note: This recipe is one of those that the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. In other words, it's much tastier than it first appears by the list of ingredients. It has a wonderful buttery, sweet and spicy tang to it.

Stromboli

1 package Pillsbury Crescent Rolls

3-5 slices honey ham

15 slices pepperoni

1 cup mozzarella cheese

1 cup spaghetti sauce

1. Roll crescent rolls out flat. Use a rolling pin to smooth the cracks or perforations until the dough is like one piece. Roll it out a bit so that you have a large rectangle.

2. Place the ham in one layer covering the entire space of the dough.

3. Place the pepperoni in two rows.

4. Cover the entire thing with the shredded mozzarella.

5. Roll tightly.

6. Slice into 1 inch pieces and lay flat on a cookie sheet -- so you can see the swirl.

7. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until light golden brown.

8. Serve with spaghetti sauce for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment